For the Student With Disabilities
We are here to do everything within our power to assist you toward success at Jackson State. But first we need to know that you want our help.
It is your responsibility as a student to voluntarily and confidentially disclose information regarding the nature of the disability to the staff in our office.
Intake Forms to Get Things Started
Please print out and complete the following forms, and bring them to the Disability Resource Center (DRC), Room 133 in the Student Center, to start the process. Also bring current documentation of your disabling condition(s) from a qualified health care provider.
Disability Resource Center Accommodation Procedures
The Disability Resource Center (DRC), located in the Student Center, is available to assist students and prospective students with documented disabilities. The Dean of Students or their designee can facilitate arrangement for in-class accommodations and campus access for students with documented disabilities.
Information regarding the availability of assistance for individuals with documented disabilities at Jackson State appears in this college catalog/student handbook, in each course syllabus, and is included in each Great Expectations orientation program.
No accommodation is given prior to the point of student disclosure, verification and accommodation agreement with the instructor.
The procedure to request/receive accommodations:
- Student contacts Jackson State Community College.
- Student contacts the DRC and completes the DRC intake forms.
- The student provides current medical and/or psychological information that is no more than three years old from a provider within the scope of practice.
- The student meets with the Dean of Students or their designee to review the documentation and the student' needs and history.
- Upon receipt of verification documents and determination that adjustments are warranted, the Dean or their designee gives the student “Special Accommodation Agreement Forms” designating recommended accommodations for each class in which the student seeks assistance. Accommodations are not provided retroactively.
- The student is to meet with the instructor(s) and discuss the parameters of the accommodation(s), detail the agreed upon parameters on the Special Accommodation Agreement form, and sign the agreement. The student is not required to disclose their specific disability.
- The student and the instructor each keep copies of the completed form, and the student returns the remaining copy to the Dean or their designee.
- If there is a disagreement concerning accommodations between a faculty member and a student, the Dean shall be contacted and included in the discussion as a mediator. Further assistance may be pursued through the Vice President for Student Services.
- The student may appeal decisions made during this process by following the grievance procedure in the current Jackson State Catalog/Student Handbook.
- The college has a right to seek additional medical/psychological evaluations paid for by the college, but must provide disputed accommodations until such information is obtained.
- The student attends class and utilizes the allowed accommodation(s) as needed.