(731) 424-3520 ext. 50726
Program and Career Description
The EMT has completed nine months of training in the basic management of the injured and ill patient. Basic Life Support skills include patient assessment, review of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, treatment of burns, splinting of fractures, dressing and bandaging, assisting with out-of-hospital childbirths, oxygen therapy, ambulance operations and related emergency care. The required courses provide the basic principles, techniques, and skills needed to apply for licensure as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). EMTs are licensed by the Tennessee Department of Health, Division of Emergency Medical Services.
Following completion of the following courses with a grade of "C" or above, the student must take a comprehensive competency based examination and score a minimum of 80 percent to be eligible for state board testing:
- HSC 100 Basic Life Support for the Health Care Provider (if not currently certified)
- EMT 100 Introduction to EMS
- EMT 101 Basic EMT I
- EMT 102 Basic EMT II
- EMT 104 EMT Extended Skills
The Basic EMT Program is authorized by the Division of Emergency Medical Services of the Tennessee Department of Health. Jackson State Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Students enrolling in the Basic EMT program must mee the following criteria:
- Meet all regular JSCC admissions requirements
- Be 18 years of age or older upon completion of the program
- Enroll as certificate seeking
- Possess current AHA-Healthcare Provider (CPR) certification for duration of the program
- Complete Learning Support (DSPM Mods. 1-4) or equivalent, prior to completion of the Basic EMT certificate
- Participate in a background check and drug screen process
Students successfully completing the requirements listed below with a minimum of 2.00 cumulative quality point average may earn the Basic EMT Technical Certificate.
Major Required Courses
EMT 100 Introduction to EMS
EMT 101 Basic Emergency Medical Tech. I
EMT 102 Emergency Medical Tech. II
EMT 104 EMT Extended Skills
6 hours of Guided Electives
The Basic EMT Technical Certificate requires 24 college level credits. Some courses have prerequisites and co-requisites.
|EMT 100||Intro. to EMS||3|
|EMT 101||Basic Emergency Medical Tech. I||6|
|EMT 102||Emergency Medical Tech. II||6|
|EMT 104||EMT Extended Skills||3|