Purpose: The purpose of the Academy is to provide you with the foundational knowledge and skills that will help you succeed in your Learning Support and College courses.
Placement: Your ACT or COMPASS score determined your need for the Academy. Because of your scores, we recommend that you register for one or more Academy classes. These scores are as follows:
- ACT Reading, Writing scores of 1-12
- COMPASS Math score of 1-60
- COMPASS Reading score of 1-60
- COMPASS Writing score of 1-35
Admissions Policy for the Academy
Admission to the Academy is granted to accepted applicants to Jackson State and to potential applicants who meet the requirements for regular admission.
- Official transcript from high school
- GED recipients must provide an official diploma or test scores.
- Graduates of non-public high schools (including private schools, home schools, and church-related schools) must submit an official transcript showing credits earned and date of graduation.
- Official transcripts for home schooled students must be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (TN Code Annotated 49-50-801) or be accompanied by certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the students would otherwise attend. Students unable to provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable GED scores.
Answers to Questions: Contact Laura Wells at 425-2614 or email@example.com.
Registration and Payment:
- Register in the Academic Assistance Center (2nd floor of Library) or in the Registration Center
- Pay in the Business Office in the Administration Building, or
- Pay by calling (731) 425-2627.
- $ per course (Reading, Writing, or Math), which will include the software
- $ for two courses and $ for all three
- Upon successfully completing the class or classes, which will include meeting an attendance requirement, students will pay $5 for the exit test in each course.
- Headphones, which will be needed for every lab session
- Paper and pen or pencil
Length of the Academy
Up to 45 hours to be taken in 4 week sessions for Reading and Writing.
Spring Schedule at the Jackson campus:
Schedules at the Centers: Please check with the office at the Center you attend. Their schedules will be posted on this page as soon as possible.