Purpose: The purpose of the Academy is to provide you with the foundational knowledge and skills that will help you succeed in your Learning Support and College courses.
Placement: Your ACT or COMPASS score determined your placement into the Academy. You have been placed into one or more Academy subjects according to your scores. Theses scores are as follows:
- ACT Math, Reading, Writing scores of 1-12
- COMPASS Math score of 1-16
- COMPASS Reading score of 1-60
- COMPASS Writing score of 1-35
ADMISSIONS POLICY FOR THE ACADEMY
Admission to the Academy is granted to accepted applicants to Jackson State and to potential applicants who meet the requirements for regular admission.
. Official transcript from high school
- GED recipients must provide an official diploma or test scores.
- Graduates of non-public high schools (including private schools, home schools, and church-related schools) must submit an official transcript showing credits earned and date of graduation.
- Official transcripts for home schooled students must be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (TN Code Annotated 49-50-801) or be accompanied by certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the students would otherwise attend. Students unable to provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable GED scores.
Answers to Questions: Contact Laura Wells at 425-2614 or email@example.com and/or Mary Jane Bassett at 425-2614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration and Payment:
- Register in the Academic Assistance Center (2nd floor of Library) or in the Registration Center
- Pay in the Business Office in the Administration Building, or
- Pay by calling (731) 425-2627.
Cost: [Under certain circumstances, financial assistance may be available for Academy reading and writing when it is the first attempt in a subject. If assistance is needed, call 425-2614 or come to the Academic Assistance Center (2nd floor of the Library Building). Attach the form to your registration form, which can be obtained in the Registration Center or the Academic Assistance Center. Assistance will be awarded only one time.]
$130 for Reading or Writing, which will include the software. Upon successfully completing the class, which will include meeting an attendance requirment, students will pay $5 to take an exit exam.
$230 for Reading and Writing if registration occurs simultaneously for both and if the courses are taken concurrently. The fee includes the software. Upon successfully completing the classes, which will include meeting an attendance requirement, students will pay $5 for each exit exam.
$45 for Math. The fee does not cover the cost of the LSM 0891 software and workbook package, which must be purchased in the JSCC bookstore.
**Federal and State Financial Aid are not available for the Academy programs.
- Headphones, which will be needed for every lab session
- Paper and pen or pencil
- For math: Learning Support Math 0891 software/workbook package
Length of the Academy: Up to 45 hours to be taken in 3 to 12 week sessions for Reading, Writing, and Math.
Spring Schedule at the Jackson campus:
Please note that except for two of the Math classes, Academy classes start later than other classes.
|Jan 26-April 1||Mon&Wed||10:00-12:30||C233|
|Jan 27-April 2||Tues&Th||9:30-12:00||C233|
|Jan 26-April 1||Mon&Wed||12:00-2:30||C235|
|Jan 27-April 2||Tues&Th||12:30-3:00||C235|
|Jan 21-Feb 2||MW||2:00-3:15 by permission/ See Mrs. Bassett||C126B|
|Jan 20-Jan 29||TR||
2:00-3:15 by permission/ See Mrs. Bassett 2nd floor of Library
Spring 2014 Schedules at the Centers: Please check with the office at the Center you attend. Their schedules will be posted on this page as soon as possible.
Schedule at the Lexington Campus
|READING & WRITING|
Schedule at the Savannah Campus
COMPASS test is required after Academy Reading and Writing completion as an exit test.
Requirements to Register for Next Classes in Sequence:
- Take the COMPASS exit test in the subject(s) for which you were required to take the Academy. Score at least 61 in reading and 36 in writing.
- Pass module posttests in math.
Questions? Contact the Academic Assistance Center staff at (731) 425-2614.