The Advanced Maintenance Technician Co-op has specific admission requirements because of its limited enrollment. Students seeking admission to the AMT Co-op must submit separate applications for admission to Jackson State Community College and for admission to the program. The applications must be submitted by the April 15th deadline.
AMT Application - Deadline April 15, 2015
The application is a fillable form that may be typed (preferred) or completed by hand. If the application is completed by hand please use black or blue ink and print clearly. If there are portions of the application that cannot be read the application will be considered incomplete.
Applicants are expected to write an essay, as part of the application. The essay should explain the applicant's interest in working as an Advanced Maintenance Technician and one's ultimate goal in applying for a position in the AMT Co-op at JSCC.
- It should be typed double-spaced in a 12 point font.
- The essay should be 500 words.
- Once the application is complete, attach the essay and a copy of the applicant's high school transcript before submitting it for review.
- The transcript will be incomplete as it is due April 15, with the application.
- An official transcript will be required to be sent to JSCC, once one is available, before an applicant can be "officially" accepted to the AMT Co-op and JSCC.
- Although not required, a copy of the ACT or SAT scores may also be attached to the application.
A completed application along with attachments should be mailed or delivered to JSCC on or before April 15.
Attachments will include the essay, a copy of the current high school transcript, and ACT/SAT Test scores (optional).
The mailing address is:
Jackson State Community College
Attention: Industrial Technology Program
2046 North Parkway
Jackson, TN 38301
Hand deliveries should be delivered to:
The McWherter Center for Advanced Technology located on the corner of North Parkway and FE Wright Drive
- A member of the high school graduating class of 2015.
- At least 18 by August 1, 2014.
- A minimum of 19 ACT score on the Math subsection is required to apply, however college readiness in Math (19), English (18) and Reading (19) by July will be required for admissions into the co-op. (This maybe achieved through ACT or SAT scores, Compassing testing, and/or completion of SAILS or Learning Support classes by July.)
- Complete and submit a JSCC Application for Admissions ( http://www.jscc.edu/apply.html ) as well as the AMT Application.
- Write and submit a 500 word essay explaining your interest in working as an Advanced Maintenance Technician and your ultimate goal in applying for this educational co-op program.
- Prepared to be interviewed by panel of consortium members and JSCC faculty/staff.
- Ability to meet employment screening requirements that may include a drug screen, a physical exam, and a background check.
- Immediately: Prepare, register and take the ACT. You will need a minimum 19 on the Math portion of the exam to apply, however college readiness in Math (19), English (18) and Reading (19) by July will be required for admissions into the co-op. (This maybe achieved through ACT or SAT scores, Compassing testing, and/or completion of SAILS or Learning Support classes by July.) .
- Now: Submit completed application for admission to Jackson State Community College.
- January – March 15: Complete and submit application(s) for financial aid (FAFSA, Scholarships, and Grants). Yes, applicants will still be eligible to receive any additional funding for which they are qualified to receive.
- January – April 15: Complete the AMT application:
- Meet with guidance counselor concerning necessary data for the AMT application.
- Complete the application.
- Write and attach the 500 word essay to the application.
- April 1 - 7: Interview selections.
- April 9 - 24: Applicant interviews with consortium members and JSCC faculty/staff.
- May 1: Program participant selections.
- May 15: Selection notifications.
- June: JSCC/AMT program orientation.
- June - August: Begin on-site work experience.
- August 25: First day of class.
A. Students meeting the application requirements will be asked to participate in one or more interviews.
- The interviews may be conducted on the phone, or in person.
- An individual should expect to be interviewed by a panel consisting of multiple consortium members and JSCC faculty and staff.
- The purpose of the interview is for consortium members to find the best match for their firm and to ensure the highest possible opportunity for success of the applicant.
B. The final decision for employment placement will be made by the hiring committee. An applicant's preference WILL NOT be considered when making the final selections.
C. Selected applicants will be expected to be college ready in the areas of Math (19), English (18) and Reading (19) by July to be permitted to participate in the co-operative experience. (This maybe achieved through ACT or SAT scores, Compassing testing, and/or completion of SAILS or Learning Support classes by July.) .
D. Selected applicants will be admitted as co-op students, hired through a temporary service once they have completed and passed the employment screenings which may include, but are not limited to:
- Drug Screening
- Physical Exam
- Background Check
- These screenings will be of no cost to the selected applicant.
E. Co-op students will be required to attend ALL orientations, safety meetings, and/or TEAM meetings scheduled by the consortium partner (employer) and JSCC.