Confirmation Test Information
Free Compass Practice Tests: www.testprepreview.com
Location: Academic Assistance Center
Cost: $5.00 per subject or part to confirm ACT or COMPASS scores
(Note: All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable)
Only these photo ID's accepted: a valid driver's license, state ID, or JSCC ID
This series of tests is offered before each semester for students who wish to confirm their ACT or COMPASS placement in math, reading and/or writing. Students are encouraged to confirm their placement. However, you may confirm a Learning Support class only one time. If you earned a grade (F, PR, W) in a Learning Support class, you cannot retest for that class; you must re-take that class to remove the grade.
Past experience shows that students who prepare for the Confirmation test have a good chance of testing up a level. Students who do not prepare usually do not move up. Therefore, there is a mandatory one week waiting period between the Compass test and Confirmation test.
Changes in Learning Support (LS): Students who tested into the Academy or Learning Support may take a Confirmation test in an attempt to move into Learning Support or into college-level courses.
In order to test, please follow the steps listed below.
1. Select a test date below.
2. Arrive 15-20 minutes early to check in at the Student Assistance Center J-Hub. You will present them with a valid state photo ID and pay your test fee. Acceptable forms of ID include a valid driver's license, a state or federal photo ID or a JSCC ID.
3. Have a seat and try to relax. The Assessment Center staff will come to get you when it's time. Everyone will be admitted at the same time.
4. Present your test requirement sheet given to you at the J-Hub, your receipt and valid photo ID to the Assessment Center staff (proctor). Also, CELL PHONES must be completely turned off at this point.
You have until the last test day prior to the first day of class to Confirm a Learning Support class and you must honor the one week waiting period between tests. Check with the Savannah, Lexington and Humboldt Centers for their testing dates and times.
- The math test is computerized and untimed. It covers basic math and algebra. Outside calculators are permitted. Please go to www.actstudent.org/faq/calculator to verify that yours is allowed.
- The reading test is computerized and untimed on vocabulary and reading comprehension.
- The writing test is a two-part computerized test. The first part is an untimed multiple-choice essay correction on writing, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure and the second part is a timed writing task in letter form.
- ACT study guides are available at area bookstores and libraries.
- Test Prep Sites: ww.testprepreview.com/compass_practice.htm, www.khanacademy.org, www.edufind.com/english/grammar, or www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/act
- The Registration Center will be open if anyone has any scheduling changes that need to be made after the testing is complete that day.
Students requesting special testing must make a request a week before the scheduled test date and must have accommodations approved through Disabled Student Services. Students may test only one time for the upcoming semester.
Confirmation Test Dates
|Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014||08:30 AM|
|Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014||12:00 PM|
|Thursday, Aug 21, 2014||08:30 AM|
|Thursday, Aug 21, 2014||11:00 AM|