Helpful Resources


Types of Financial Aid



financial aid that typically does not have to be repaid, usually based on income and/or financial need – called “need-based”


Federal grants:


Federal Pell Grant – apply using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) –


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) – apply using the FAFSA – limited funds, so apply early


State grants:


Tennessee Student Assistance Award – apply using the FAFSA – limited funds, so apply early. More information may be found at


Helping Heroes Grant – has an online application with the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation – for select veterans – limited funding. More information may be found at


Foster Child Tuition Grant – identified through the Department of Children’s Services. More information may be found at


Scholarships - financial aid that does not typically have to be repaid, based on educational criteria, called “merit-based”




Foundation scholarships – limited funds, March 15th deadline. More information may be found at


Access and Diversity scholarship – limited funds. More information may be found at


Athletic scholarships - awarded through the Athletic Department. More information may be found at


Disability Services scholarship – for students with documented disabilities. More information may be found at


State scholarships:


Lottery based – There are several different merit based scholarships offered through the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation with merit based factors, application is the FAFSA. More information may be found on


TN Promise – last dollar scholarship opportunity offered the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation, has application on TSAC’s website, EARLY deadlines. More information may be found at


Outside scholarships:


These are scholarships offered by entities other than the institution and/or government. This can be from churches, businesses, organizations, etc. More information can be found at or by doing a search for outside scholarships. However, be wary of scams. Information on how to avoid scams is located:


Work programs – these are referred to as “self-help” because the student is working hours for pay


Federal Work-study – application is the FAFSA, limited funds, assigned to an on-campus job or off-campus community service agency. More information may be found at


Regular Campus Work – non-need based employment, application is the FAFSA and there is also an additional application found at


Loans - also referred to as “self-help” but is money which will require repayment


Private Loans – loans based on income and credit through a lender, application must be done with the lender and might require a co-signer. More information may be found at Note: JSCC does not participate in the Federal loan programs. 

1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) - Use this number to check the status of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  TTY (for the hearing impaired) 1-800-730-8913

319-337-5665 -- Use this number to request a Student Aid Report. 
The following website provides additional information about federal student aid.

Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) - (State Aid)
1-800-342-1663 or 615-741-1346  --  Use either number to check the status of your TSAC Grant or the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship.  You may also check online at

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
1-800-829-1040 --
Use this number to request a TRANSCRIPT of your tax return.  Allow 10 - 15 days for delivery.

Social Security Administration
1-800-772-1213 or locally at (731) 660-3384 -- 
Use either of these numbers to call for verification of your Social Security benefits.  You may also go to the local office at 415 Cheyenne Drive, Jackson.

Selective Service System
-- Use this number to check your registration information or go to

U. S. Department of Education
For information to help you reach your college dreams visit

Veteran's Administration
-- Use this number to call concerning verification of your Veteran's benefits.  Visit the JSCC Veterans Affairs website.

Financial Aid Facts  --  Facts to help you with the Financial Aid process

Cash Course  --  Free to JSCC students; to help you work on a personal budget, debt recovery, paying for college, and the best ways to handle your money.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

Decatur County
P. O. Box 653
Parsons, TN 38363
(731) 847-2021

Chester County
269 N. Church Street
Henderson, TN 38340
(731) 989-5160

Hardeman County
602-A Tennessee St.
Bolivar, TN 38008
(731) 658-4073

Haywood County
140 S. Wilson Ave.
Brownsville,TN 38012
(731) 779-0868

Hardin County
1080 Wayne Road
Savannah, TN 38372
(731) 925-4169

Henderson County
17 Monroe Ave.
Lexington, TN 38351
(731) 968-0276

Madison County
362 Carriage Hse Dr.
Jackson, TN 38305
(731) 668-2040

McNairy County
701-B Indust Park Dr 
Selmer, TN 38375
(731) 645-7264

Benton County
60 North Church Ave
Camden, TN 38320
(731) 584-1711

Henry County
55 Jones Bed Rd Ext
Paris, TN 38242
731) 641-1020

Carroll County
470 Mustang Drive
Huntingdon, TN 38344
(731) 986-8217

Weakley County
135 S.Poplar St, Ste B
Dresden, TN 38225
(731) 364-0100

For additional information, locations and phone numbers in the state of Tennessee, go to

Vocational Rehabilitation
Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a federal and state-funded program providing services to help individuals with disabilities enter or return to employment. It is designed to assist individuals of work age with physical and/or mental disabilities compete successfully with others in earning a livelihood.  CLICK HERE for brochure.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services are located throughout Tennessee.  To locate your local department:
- Visit this website
- Call 1-615-313-4891  (TTY: 615-313-5695  or  TTY: 1-800-270-1349)
- Contact your local Department of Human Services
- Contact Linda Nickell in the Disability Resource Center of JSCC@ 731-425-2616.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office at 731-425-2605 or 1-800-355-5722, ext. 50605

Families First
Families First provides temporary cash benefits to families who have children, and are experiencing financial difficulties. These benefits are time-limited to 60 months in a participant’s lifetime.  The Families First program emphasizes work, training, and personal responsibility. To be eligible for the program, participants must agree to follow a Personal Responsibility Plan (PRP). As part of the PRP, the participant agrees to keep immunizations and health checks up to date for their children, keep their children in school, co-operate with Child Support Services to establish paternity, and participate in a work/training program for at least 30 hours per week.  Unless a participant is exempt from the 30-hour work requirement, he/she will develop, with the assistance of a work activity contractor, an individualized career plan (ICP). This plan is based on the participant’s needs and skills. The ultimate goal of the ICP is to provide a work and training guide that will result in financial independence for the family.

Families First services are located throughout Tennessee.  To locate your local department:
- Visit this website
- Call 1-615-313-4700   or   Contact your local Department of Human Services


Jackson Campus
2046 N. Parkway
Jackson TN 38301

(731) 425-2605
Extension  52605

Savannah Campus
840 S.Pickwick Rd
Savannah TN 38372


Lexington Campus
932 E.Church Street
Lexington TN 38351


Humboldt Campus
1751 Main St.
Humboldt, TN 38343

(731) 425-8836