To be considered for admission to the Nursing Program, applicants must provide official ACT scores less than five years old (dated February 1, 2010 or later). To assist you, the program offers a Residual ACT Exam. The test is given only on JSCC’s main campus and cannot be used for lottery scholarship purposes or transferred to other institutions. You may take the JSCC nursing ACT residual once per nursing admission cycle.
- Seating for the exam is limited and fills up quickly. Please register early.
- Since you cannot register for the ACT unless you have an admission applications on file, ensure your admissions application has been submitted and processed by JSCC Admissions and Records Services if you are not currently enrolled at JSCC. Apply for the term you plan to enroll for any courses.
- To Register: Between 8 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday, go to the Academic Assistance Center - main campus, JSCC Library - 2nd floor; or go the Lexington, Savannah or Humboldt Centers. You cannot register by phone. You will be given the testing room location when you register for the exam. Bring a valid ID during registration to be reviewed. Questions? (Call 731) 424-3520 ext. 50479.
- Pay the non-refundable $40 fee in the Business Services Office on the same day you register for the exam to reserve your seat. You can pay online if you are a current JSCC student. Payment by phone is not accepted. If paying in person, you must go to the main JSCC campus or to the Humboldt, Lexington or Savannah Centers.
- Test Day ID Requirements - You will not be allowed to test without meeting these requirements. You must have:
- Valid photo ID that is not expired (NO EXCEPTIONS). Acceptable forms of photo ID are: valid driver’s license, valid state photo ID, or valid/current JSCC ID.
- The name on your ID must match the name used during registration.
|Friday, Nov 7, 2014||01:00 PM|
|Friday, Nov 21, 2014||01:00 PM|
|Friday, Dec 12, 2014||09:00 AM|
|Friday, Jan 16, 2015||09:00 AM|
|Friday, Jan 23, 2015 (location TBA)||01:00 PM|
|Friday, Jan 30, 2015 (location TBA)||01:00 PM|
How to Get Your Scores:
Scores will be available one week after your test date in the Nursing Division Office, McWherter Center - Room 137. Scores cannot be given via phone or picked up by anyone else. Valid photo ID must be provided before scores can be released. If you prefer us to mail your scores to you, complete an ACT Request Form (available from Nursing DivisionOffice). Also, provide a self-addressed stamped long envelope to the testing proctor on test day.
- The test takes four hours; plan to set aside the necessary amount of time.
- You are allowed to use a basic or scientific calculator during the math portion of the exam. If you are not sure your type of calculator is allowed, go to actstudent.org/testprep/tips/calculator.html to check the official ACT requirements.
National ACT Test
You may also opt to take the ACT multiple times at a national site. For more information about national test dates, costs, and sites go to www.actstudent.org. Make sure JSCC Admissions and Records Services receives your scores by the Feb 1, 2015 deadline.
Test Prep Hints
The Nursing Program currently uses the math, reading and science reasoning subtest scores from the ACT during the admissions process. A partial resource list to assist you with test preparation is provided below.
To access a free online ACT preparation site from the JSCC Library website which includes free online practice tests, an online course and online books, go to http://library.jscc.edu/testing-databases. Then click:
- Testing and Education Reference Center
- College Prep Tools
If off-campus, login using your JSCC username and password when you access the site.
- ACT Test Prep Website: www.actstudent.org/testprep - lists resources to help you prepare for test
- ACT Study Guides purchased at local bookstores or other on-line bookstores.
- www.actstudent.org/onlineprep $19.95 for one year, access for single user
- ACT exam prep course offered by JSCC's Lifetime Learning, (731) 425-2627 or 1-800-355-5722
Taking the National ACT/Using National ACT Test Scores
If you would like to take a national exam instead of, or in addition to, JSCC’s residual exam, you can register for a national exam at www.actstudent.org. The essay portion of the ACT exam is not required for nursing admission. National test dates that meet this nursing application deadline are:
- October 25, 2014
- December 13, 2014
Also, use this website if you need to have your national scores that are less than five years old sent to JSCC Admissions and Records Services. If national ACT scores are sent to JSCC, it is your responsibility to confirm the scores have been received by February 1, 2015.