It is the policy of Jackson State to provide an orderly due process for students who believe that they have been subjected to unfair treatment by other students or by college employees. You may pursue the grievance process if you believe you have been unjustly subjected to threats or other conditions which may result in physical harm and/or emotional distress.
You may file a grievance/complaint which relates to the following:
- Discrimination/Harassment based on Disability – Students who believe that they have been subjected to discrimination or harassment because of a disability should contact the Dean of Students, Student Union Building, (731) 425-2616.
- Sexual Discrimination/Harassment See Policy/Guidelines on Sexual and Racial Harassment. Students who believe that they have been subjected to sexual discrimination or harassment should contact the college’s Affirmative Action Officer, Administration Building, (731) 425-2621.
- Racial Discrimination/Harassment – See Policy Guidelines on Sexual and Racial Harassment. Students who believe that they have been subjected to racial discrimination/harassment should contact the college’s Affirmative Action Officer, Administration Building, (731) 425-2621.
- Complaints Relating to Other Students – See General Regulations on Student Conduct and Disciplinary Sanctions. Students wishing to file a complaint (grievance) against another student should contact the Dean of Students, Student Union, (731) 425-2616.
- Complaints Relating to College Employees – A student wishing to file a complaint (grievance) against a college employee should use the administrative channels of communication in the order which follows: (1) director/dean of the unit providing the service; (2) appropriate vice president; (3) president of the college. The written complaint/grievance should be submitted to the appropriate college official within 15 working days of the incident and should include the name and address of the complainant and nature of the incident on which the complaint/grievance is based. Upon receipt, the appropriate college official(s) will investigate the validity of the complaint/grievance and, within 30 working days, render to the complainant a written determination of the complaint’s validity and resolution. Additional information concerning filing a complaint (grievance) may be obtained from the Affirmative Action Officer, Administration Building, (731) 425-2621.
Complaints Related to Accreditation or regarding Violations of State Law – Students or prospective students who wish to file a complaint related to accreditation or regarding violations of state law not resolved at the institution may submit a Student Complaint Form to the Tennessee Board of Regents or in person at 1 Bridgestone Park, Nashville Tennessee 37214. Under Tennessee’s open records law, all or parts of complaints will generally be available for review upon request from a member of the public. Complaints regarding accreditation can also be made by contacting the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, 1866 South Lane, Decatur Georgia 30033 or call 404-679-4500.
Complaints of fraud, waste or abuse may be made by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Tennessee Comptroller’s Hotline for Fraud, Waste and Abuse at 1-800-232-5454.