Registration FAQs

What is auditing a course?

Auditing lets you attend and review a class without grades or tests. No credit is given and fees are the same as for a credit course. If you wish to audit, you must declare this when you enroll.

I know that I want to come to college, but I am not sure what to major in.  Who can help me? 

The Career Resource Center staff at Jackson State is here to help you identify your possibilities and decide on an appropriate major.  You can visit their office (SC 133), located in the Student Center, from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.   

There are also many resources available with career path information that you can use to make that decision.  You can use The Occupational Outlook Handbook as a tool for career exploration and job analysis.

How do I plan my class schedule?

To create your schedule, take a hard look at how much time you can give college:

  • How many hours do you work in a week?
  • How many hours are dedicated to childcare and personal time?
  • How many hours will you study? Allow at least two hours for every hour you spend in class.

Some suggestions:

  • Don't take all your classes back to back - give yourself a break in the day.
  • Schedule your learning support courses first.
  • If you are taking 12 credit hours or more, limit the number of hours you work to allow time for study.

How many credit hours make me a full-time student?

To be considered a full-time student, you must take at least 12 credit hours.

Do I need to see an advisor to register for classes?

We strongly recommend you meet with a faculty advisor before registering for classes to make sure you are selecting the right classes for your degree plan and to discuss your academic goals.

How do I find out who my faculty advisor is?

You can view your assigned faculty advisor's information by plugging into jWeb and clicking on the "One Stop" tab at the top of the screen. 

I really need help in my classes. Where can I get it?

Start with your instructor. Each instructor has office hours (listed in the syllabus given out the first day of class) when you can get extra help. If you need more assistance, visit one of the campus learning resource centers, where you can get free peer tutoring, help with reading, writing, math, study skills, note taking and more.

Academic Assistance Center

Writing Center

When should I consider dropping a class?

Talk with your instructor and faculty advisor if you have questions before you drop.  You may want to consider dropping a course if you see little or no chance of passing the class, or you realize you cannot regularly attend class due to unforeseen circumstances. However, be aware this could affect health insurance, financial aid or scholarship eligibility. Withdrawal from courses appear on your transcript permanently, so you do not want to establish a pattern.

Also, to get a refund, you need to make the drop decision early. Refunds are based on the date you officially drop a class. (See our academic calendar for important dates/deadlines.)

If I stop attending a class, will I automatically be dropped?

NO! If you stop attending class you will not be automatically withdrawn. You must officially withdraw.  You can get help by visiting with your faculty advisor. If not, your grades will be recorded as "F", which will affect your GPA and may cause other problems. Do not assume your instructor will drop you!

What is the difference between a transfer (AA/AS/AST) and a career (AAS) degree?

Academic Majors & Pathways

The following Transfer Degrees are designed for students who want to complete their first two years of college work and then transfer on to a four-year institution:

  • Associate of Arts Degree
  • Associate of Science Degree
  • Associate of Science in Teaching Degree

See a faculty advisor for more information about transferring.

Our Career Degree, the Associate in Applied Science (AAS), gives you technical skills for entry-level employment in the workforce. It is not designed for transfer. It is also known as a career or occupational degree.

Can I change my major and if so when?

Yes, you can change your major during the registration dates posted in the academic calendar. You can obtain this form from your faculty advisor or the Records Office.  You will need to return the completed form to the Records Office.

What courses will transfer?

Our courses are accredited, and all college level courses (not LS - Learning Support) can transfer. If you plan to transfer, meet with your faculty advisor early and often. Be sure to check about electives - most bachelor's degrees accept only a limited number of them.

To see how JSCC courses correspond to courses at other colleges, check out our Transfer Equivalencies page. 

See our articulation agreements with area colleges.

Will you mail out our grades at the end of each semester?

No, your grades will not be mailed to you.  You must plug into jWeb to view your final grades.

Any tips for success?

Please see our College Success Toolkit for pointers on being a successful student. You should also be aware of your student responsibilities.