Jul 18th, 2022
The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) has released its 2021–22 All-Academic Teams, recognizing student-athletes across the country for their dedication in the classroom.
Over 9,900 students earned academic honors for achieving an overall GPA of 3.60 or higher during the 2020-21 academic year with 11 of those students being Jackson State Community College Green Jays.
“I am excited to see some of our Green Jays being recognized for all their hard work in the classroom and commend each of them for going the extra mile to earn this recognition,” said JSCC Athletic Director Steve Cornelison. “Being a student-athlete is not easy. I know our athletes are working just as hard in the classroom as they are in their respective sports. I hope to see more names on this list going forward as we strive for excellence in the classroom and in our athletics.”
NJCAA assigns student-athletes based on their GPA to three different All-Academic teams. The criteria for each team are as follows:
- NJCAA All-Academic First Team: 4.00 GPA
- NJCAA All-Academic Second Team: 3.80-3.99 GPA
- NJCAA All-Academic Third Team: 3.60-3.79 GPA
Four of the 11 Green Jays were inducted into the First Team, followed by three on the Second Team and four on the Third Team. Green Jays receiving academic honors are:
- Jacob Bryant – First Team, Medina, TN
- Luke Pratt – Third Team, Humboldt, TN
- Michael Bell – Third Team, Medina, TN
- Cole Breault – Second Team, Bartlett, TN
- Seth Creasy – Second Team, Burns, TN
- Addi Baynes – Second Team, Ripley, TN
- Jennabeth Hicks – Third Team, Pinson, TN
- Rachel Montgomery – Third Team, Parsons, TN
- Taylor Swan – First Team, McMinnville, TN
- Tyra Haston – First Team, Fayetteville, TN
- Kassidy Davis – First Team, Lebanon, TN
The NJCAA was founded in 1938 and is the governing association of community college, state college, and junior college athletics in the United States. 525 schools make up the association across 24 regions. Each year, the association recognizes student-athletes for their academic achievements, earning a 3.6 or higher overall GPA.
To learn more about Green Jay Athletics, view schedules and more, go to jscc.edu/athletics