Jul 12th, 2022
Jackson State Community College’s Adrian Montague has been inducted into the 15th Class of Maxine Smith Fellows Program following his completion of the program.
This year long-program is comprised of members nominated by the presidents of their respective institutions. Montague was selected as one of 17 faculty and staff members for the program from Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) colleges and the state’s locally governed universities.
“I am truly honored to have been selected to be a part of the 15th Class of Fellows and to learn alongside the next generation of minority leaders across our state,” Montague said. “This program has not only been a humbling experience, but an empowering one as well. I am excited to implement all that I have taken away from the program and look forward to seeing the impact the 15th cohort makes throughout higher education in Tennessee.”
The program’s goal is to increase diversity in the faculty and senior leadership ranks in Tennessee public higher education. Members meet monthly for professional development and training, mentoring, and collaborative-based project opportunities. Since the program’s inception, 155 Fellows have completed the program with many alumni going on to advance into leadership positions, including college presidencies.
The Maxine Smith Fellows Program is administered by the TBR Office of Organizational Effectiveness and is named in honor of the late Maxine A. Smith, a longtime civil rights leader in Memphis and a member of the TBR board from 1994-2006.
Fellows of the 15th cohort include representation of six locally governed institutions and eight TBR colleges. Graduates of the 2021-22 class are:
- Antija Allen, Pellissippi State Community College
- Charria Campbell, Tennessee Tech University
- Sean Chism, Tennessee Board of Regents system office
- Quincy Jenkins, Chattanooga State Community College
- Brelinda Johnson, Middle Tennessee State University
- Kiana Johnson, East Tennessee State University
- Deidré Kyle, Walters State Community College
- Erica Lee, Motlow State Community College
- Tongai Maodzwa, Northeast State Community College
- Adrian Montague, Jackson State Community College
- Arlene Nicholas-Phillips, Tennessee State University
- Barbara Scales, Motlow State Community College
- Cheryl Seay, Tennessee State University
- Tanya Shephard, Roane State Community College
- Eric Stokes, University of Memphis
- LaNeeca Williams, Austin Peay State University
- Johnny Wyatt, Nashville State Community College