Jackson State Community College is offering anyone the opportunity to learn about genealogy. LIB 1001, Introduction to Genealogy, is a comprehensive course available for both credit and non-credit through the Tennessee State Library and Archives. The online course is administered through JSCC’s eLearn software and takes students through an extensive 14-week journey of learning all the ins and outs of genealogical research.
Students in this in-depth course will become familiar with many online and print sources, will interact with one another and the instructors in discussion forums and email, and will complete weekly assignments to learn about important records and useful genealogical skills. Records and examples from Tennessee history will be used, but the skills learned are applicable to genealogical research in other states as well.
The course is offered online and students will be able to complete the weekly assignments at their own pace. There is no set class time and no textbook is required. Class participants will have access to Ancestry Library edition through ProQuest.
During the course, students will learn:
- Why given names and surnames can be historically significant
- How to preserve family treasures and stories that have been passed down
- How to chart what they already know about their ancestry
- How to use software to organize and manipulate family data
- How to use the records common to genealogists, like the census and vital records
- The value of military records and where to find them
- How to locate and use court records, immigration, and land records
- Best use of records found online, in print, in courthouses and in manuscripts
Registration is now open. Classes start on January 19, 2016 and end on May 6, 2016. Registrants must first apply for admission to the College, online at http://www.jscc.edu/admissions. Individuals not seeking college credit may enroll as an audit student to avoid transcript and testing requirements.
Also, prospective students may also enroll as a non-credit student through the Office of Lifelong Learning. https://registration.xenegrade.com/jscc/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=14687
Visit http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/events/genealogycourse.htm for additional information about the course.