Test Location: Currently, Academic Assistance Center (Above the Library)
Cost: $20 (Fee is non-refundable and non-transferable)
Placement testing is required for first-time degree-seeking students age 21 and older. It is also required for degree seeking students with college work who have not passed a college-level English or math course who started to college after fall 1985. It assesses your college readiness skills in reading, writing and math.
In order to Placement test, your online college admission or readmission application for the term has to be processed and your need for testing verified. Feel free to check on the status of your application by contacting the Admissions Office at 425-8844.
IN ORDER TO TEST, PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THESE STEPS (Appointment Required)
1. Review test dates provided below at the end of these instructions.
2. Schedule your appointment in Jackson at least 24 hours in advance. NOTE: The 24 hours does not include the weekend. You will need your J-number and phone number.
3. On test day, arrive 15-20 minutes early to pay your fee in the Business Office.
4. Take your receipt and photo ID with you to the Library Reference area and please be seated. While you're waiting, try to relax until someone from the Academic Assistance Center (proctor) comes to get you. Everyone will be admitted at the same time. Acceptable forms of ID include an unexpired driver's license, a state or federal photo ID, or a JSCC ID.
5. When you arrived upstairs in the Academic Assistance Center, you will present your photo identification and receipt to the AAC staff. At this point, all cell phones must be completely turned off!
Next, you will be issued a locker in which to place your cell phone, electronic devices, hats, personal items, and any extra papers you may have. You will be given scratch paper and a pencil that must be collected at the end of the test. A calculator will be available for you to use on the computer as part of the software. (No personal calculators allowed)
Students are allowed to confirm only once. You have until the last test day prior to the first day of class to Confirm a Learning Support class and you must honor the one week waiting period between tests.
If you want to study for the test, you may find the following sites helpful:
In addition, students may pick up a copy of an ACT study guide to practice. The JSCC library has several copies, and local high school guidance offices have copies.
Students requesting special testing must make a request in advance before the scheduled test date by contacting the Academic Assistance Center at 425-2614 and must have accommodations approved through the Disability Resource Center.