JSCC Distance Education
Guide for Transitioning to Online for Students
Bright Space Pulse
A mobile app that helps students keep track of important updates. It brings news, deadlines, and grades together in one place so they can spend less time organizing and more time learning. Get Bright Space Pulse
Computer Loan Program
Charter to Offer Free Access to Spectrum Broadband and Wi-Fi For 60 Days For New K-12 and College Student Households and More. Learn more about Charter's offer.
All AT&T consumer home internet wireline and fixed wireless internet customers can use unlimited data. AT&T also offers Internet service to qualifying low-income households for $10.00/month through Access from AT&T.
Unlimited Data Offers
Comcast and AT&T both announced they would waive data caps and keep public Wi-Fi hotspots open for all. To locate the nearest Xfinitiy Wi-Fi hotspots, enter an address on the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot map. For AT&T, use the AT&T Smart Wi-Fi app to find and save hotspots.
T-Mobile also stated it will upgrade all current customers to "unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming)." This applies to any T-Mobile plan or Metro by T-Mobile prepaid plan that has a monthly data cap. Additionally, T-Mobile said it is giving all customers "an additional 20 GB of mobile hotspot/tethering service for the next 60 days."
Sprint, which is being acquired by T-Mobile, is taking identical steps.
Jackson Madison County Public Library
Free WiFi will be on while the library is closed. Drive up to the parking lot at the Main Library to access JMCL Gig. No library card required. If the authentication screen doesn't automatically pop up, go to your browser and type in our website address: jmclibrary.org and it should come up.
Hotspots for Satellite Campuses
JSCC will provide emergency financial grants for COVID-19-related expenses. Any student who meets the eligibility criteria will be given a portion of these emergency funds. Students will receive assistance based upon eligibility guidelines established by federal policy and in conjunction with TBR guidance.
Application deadline: June 17, 2020.
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program is designed to help needy families achieve self-sufficiency. States receive block grants to design and operate programs that accomplish one of the purposes of the TANF program. TANF Web Site
- The Tennessee Department of Human Services has issued a new policy offering emergency cash assistance for those impacted at this time by utilizing Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funds.
- These funds will be up to $1,000 for a family of 5+ who qualifies and has had a loss of a job as a result of COVID-19.
- These efforts will be up and working within one week, and we encourage Tennesseans in need to apply online when the application becomes available. Applications are no longer being accepted.
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Expanded Unemployment Relief:
- Working with economists to determine how economic downturn could affect our state’s economy and how to best use the Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund.
- Will extend unemployment benefits to employees who suddenly find themselves out of work as businesses temporarily cease operations during the pandemic.
- Extending unemployment benefits to those who are quarantined by a physician for COVID-19 and are temporarily away from their job.
- Working with the federal government to gain more flexibility in job search requirements.
- Suspending certain regulations so those who are approved will get paid more quickly.
- Tennesseans are encouraged to apply online
A scholarship search platform that is taking free applications for $200 in emergency assistance for students in need during this global crisis. Learn more and apply.
Food and Housing Assistance
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly known as food stamps) provides nutritional assistance benefits to children and families, the elderly, the disabled, unemployed and working families. Learn more about SNAP.
Regional Inter-Faith Association (RIFA)
RIFA will be handing out food boxes and continue to provide Snack Backpacks for children. For more information, please go to the Administrative Office or call 731.427.7963. See RIFA C-19 updates
Jackson Energy Authority
Disconnections for non-payment will be suspended until further notice. More information from JEA.
Physical and Mental Health
- Medicare covers the lab tests for COVID-19. You pay no out-of-pocket costs.
- Medicare covers all medically necessary hospitalizations. This includes if you're diagnosed with COVID-19 and might otherwise have been discharged from the hospital after an inpatient stay, but instead you need to stay in the hospital under quarantine.
- At this time, there's no vaccine for COVID-19. However, if one becomes available, it will be covered by all Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D).
- If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, you have access to these same benefits. Medicare allows these plans to waive cost-sharing for COVID-19 lab tests. Many plans offer additional telehealth benefits beyond the ones described below. Check with your plan about your coverage and costs.
- Scammers may use the coronavirus national emergency to take advantage of people while they’re distracted. As always, guard your Medicare card like a credit card, check Medicare claims summary forms for errors, and if someone calls asking for your Medicare Number, hang up!
Free Mental Health Counseling
The counselor is available free to students and will still be taking appointments over the phone. Other arrangements may also be made. To set up an appointment or for more details, please email email@example.com, call 731-424-3520 extension 50260.
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis. Do you need to reach a Crisis Counselor? Text HOME from anywhere in the US to 741741 or message them on Facebook Messenger.