Dual Enrollment FAQs

Q:  Am I eligible?
A:  JSCC readily accepts high school students who have a 3.0 or higher high school GPA. Students who are below but close to this requirement can submit a written recommendation from their principal or guidance counselor.

Q:  Do I qualify for courses?
A:  Depending on the course, students with ACT sub scores of 19 in Math and Reading and 18 in English qualify for most courses offered through DE. Students with a 3.6 or higher high school GPA meet the course requirements. Recommendations from the principal or guidance counselor are accepted for students who have a 3.0 to 3.59 high school GPA.

Q:  Can I use DE courses to satisfy my high school graduation requirements.
A:  Yes. Check with your high school guidance counselor to be sure.

Q:  Is money available to help pay for DE course tuition?
A:  Yes. The Tennessee DE grant is available to high school juniors and seniors. Visit the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC) website for detailed information:  https://www.tn.gov/collegepays

Q:  Does JSCC offer a scholarship for DE students?
A:  Yes. JSCC provides an extensive scholarship that supplements the TN DE grant.

Q:  Is the TN DE grant free?
A:  Yes. However, after grant four, any funds used are deducted from a student’s TN Hope scholarship.

Q:  Does the TN DE grant cover course textbooks?
A:  No, the grant only covers course tuition.

Q:  Can I lose my DE grant eligibility?
A:  Yes. Students must maintain a 2.75 cumulative college GPA while using the TN DE grant.

Q:  If I lose my grant eligibility, can I still take DE courses?
A:  Yes. You can still take DE courses.

Q:  Can I still receive the DE scholarship even if I lost grant eligibility?
A:  Yes. You can pay what your potential grants “would have” paid, and still receive the JSCC DE scholarship.

Q:  Will the final grades I earn in the DE courses I take affect my overall college GPA?
A:  Yes. Be conscience of your grades and submit all assignments, quizzes and tests.

Q:  Do universities accept DE credit take from JSCC?
A:  Yes. Most universities accept college credit from JSCC but check with the potential school to be sure.

Q:  How do I have my DE credit transferred to the university I’m attending after high school graduation?
A:  Find transcript request information here:  https://www.jscc.edu/about-jackson-state/student-services/records/